The Beatles’ Liverpool
Discover the stories behind 50 iconic locations
Explore ‘Beatle Land’ and the iconic sites associated with The Beatles’ fame.
The ‘Fab Four’ – John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr – were all born and brought up in Liverpool, and this illustrated guide reveals why the city was crucial to their musical success. Following in their footsteps around Liverpool and Merseyside, the book explores the places that influenced The Beatles’ musical direction and eventual stardom. Discover the significance of the locations behind hit singles such as ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ and ‘Penny Lane’, as well as iconic music venue The Cavern Club. The book’s handy location map will guide you to all the sights, including:
- St Peter’s Church where Paul famously first met John, who was playing in his band The Quarrymen in the grounds.
- The Mersey Ferry which provided a great venue for the Beatles to perform in 1961 and 1962.
- Strawberry Fields where John visited summer fairs with his aunt, and which was the inspiration behind the hit single ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’
- Penny Lane and its bus roundabout, celebrated in the song with the same name.
- The Cavern Club, the iconic music venue where The Beatles played 292 times and where Brian Epstein first saw them perform in 1961.
- John, Paul, George and Ringo’s childhood homes.
The book also looks at the band’s early childhood influences including schools, parents and relatives that left an indelible mark on the character of the boys as they grew up, as well as their manager Brian Epstein’s role and influence as another Liverpool lad. Fully illustrated, this is the ultimate Beatles fan’s guide to Liverpool.